Friday 1 November 2013

Made in Leicester – Introducing Photographer Ellie Sutton

by Bemi (Founder Mor Music Group)



Ellie shooting promo pictures for Izzy Fortuin  upcoming single.


\



Ellie shooting promo pictures for Aimee's upcoming single featuring rapper/guitarist Rakim Bailey


This is the first of a series of "Made in Leicester" blog posts based on people Mor Music Group recently worked with in the city of Leicester, UK.

A few weeks ago, I discovered another artist in Leicester. However, it was not from a talent search or audition, nor related to music. The artist I found was photographer Ellie Sutton. Ellie is the Founder of Lux photography, a Leicester based photography studio. Her business is also funded by the European Union grant funding Mor Music Group - that’s actually how we met.

I needed a new photographer to work with, and decided to work with a fellow grant recipient. The shoot was for the promotional pictures of Mor Music Group’s upcoming single releases. Prior to the photo session, I had a meeting with Ellie. I was impressed by the in-depth questions she asked about the artists, and the songs. She also asked to listen to the songs to help her capture the appropriate emotions for the promotional pictures.

Ellie also suggested if the weather was nice, we could take some shots outside. I remember thinking ‘err have you noticed it’s been raining all week’ – I guess that was Ellie being optimistic. However, it stopped raining for one day that week, and it was on the day of the photo shoot. The weather was relatively warm for autumn (fall) – it felt like spring. Surely that had to be a good omen – at least the weather was on our side.

I used to absolutely hate photo shoots back in my twenties, when I modelled part-time whilst studying in the United States. It was always a drag – hair, makeup, and being treated like a mannequin by designers and photographers.   

Contrary to my prior experience, our photo session with Ellie last week (Thursday October 24th) was the first photo session I absolutely enjoyed being a part of. The Mor Music Group artists also gave a positive feedback afterwards.

Ellie doubled as both a photographer, and an entertainer. I was almost tempted to ask if she ever considered being a stand-up comedian. She was able to engage everyone on set with her positive energy. Her charming personality lit up the studio, and turned what would normally be a mundane photo session into what seemed like a group of friends hanging out. I was amazed at how open she was about her life, and her work as a photographer. I think her openness made everyone on set more comfortable working with her. I recall one of the artists whispering to me ‘she makes me feel so comfortable’.

Ellie could tell from the artists’ body language when they needed a break, and she would be off to the kitchen area making everyone tea.  She also shared her artwork with us during the breaks. A set of artwork which caught my attention was what I personally dubbed ‘alternative dark endings to fairy tales’.

 Although my first degree was a Science degree, I took Art appreciation as an elective (in addition to film and music electives). The unusual choice of electives was driven by my passion for the creative sector. I digress, but back to Ellie’s photographic artwork. Because of the knowledge imparted from my art class, I was able to appreciate Ellie’s intricate artwork, and could picture her work in a ritzy art gallery on the West End of London. (My next mission would be to convince Ellie to hold an art exhibition displaying her work.)

After the photo shoot, as I hopped into a cab and headed to the train station, I thought about my day with the Mor Music Group artists, and an amazing photographer.  On the train journey home, I would normally nap during the hour long journey. Instead, the events of the day replayed in my head, and I had a grin on my face (oblivious to everything around me). We had a productive photo session, and coupled with that, I had just discovered another hidden talent in Leicester.


Ellie Sutton is a De Montfort University graduate of Photography and Video (with Honours). You can find her on the Lux photography Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/luxphotographyuk  An in-depth interview with Ellie coming soon on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment