Monday 21 October 2013

Matt R talks about his music career



Mor Music Group volunteer blogger Laura a.k.a Miss Vengeance recently conducted an interview with 24 year old solo artist Matt Richards, otherwise known by his stage name Matt R.

What made you want to work in the music industry?
Basically my main interest has been music. My dad used to play music, and it basically went from there. So it was was my dad who got me into it.

What is the genre of music that you play?
Its mainly Pop, R n b, and I also do acoustic songs. These are my three main areas of music.

What has been the highlight/memorable moment for you so far?
I’d say it has to be writing a song called 'Superhero'. I wrote it in half an hour, and recorded it on the same day. The next day it went out on BBC Radio 1xtra.

When did you realise this is what you wanted to do as a career?
Its always been something I wanted to do. I wanted to take a step back from doing Law, and wanted to do Music. From the age of 18, I wanted to make it a profession, but before that I wanted to make it a hobby.

Out of any artist in the world, who would you like to collaborate with?
I’d have to say Usher if I could pick anyone.

Do you have an all-time favorite song? What is it and why?
I’ve never thought about that before, but I'd have to say 'Kiss from a Rose' by Seal. One reason is because I used to watch the Batman films, and I always liked that song. I like it when there is a powerful meaning to a song,  it always stuck, and has been one of my favourites.

If you had the chance to play at a festival, what festival would it be?
Glastonbury

If you had an album out what would you call it, and what inspired you to call it that?
I’ve always wanted to call my album 'My Time' and thats because when I first started music I used to get a lot of criticisms. I always had an ambition. I've done some pretty cool stuff, and they (my  critics) now tend to be on my side. I wanted to make negative criticisms into positive, to make me a better person

Is your family musical?
My dad side is, my dad is the main one, and he taught my cousin how to sing. My cousin is now an artist in London, and has toured with N'Dubz. That’s what I always wanted to do.

How do you handle mistakes when performing?
I just basically carry on - act professional, and carry on. 


You can follow Matt R on Twitter@MatthewROnline

No comments:

Post a Comment