Friday 30 May 2014

Up and Coming Artist - Sic'Nis



Sic'Nis (Succeed-In(g) Impossible Circumstances Needs Intellectual Strength)

By Bemi (Founder Mor Music Group)


Sic’Nis is a beautiful, and talented artist. The first time I met her, her disarming charm, and infectious smile caught my attention – a star in the making.

She is a free spirit, and radiates positive energy – the type of person you wouldn’t mind getting trapped in an elevator (lift) with for a whole day, or stranded on a deserted island with. Seriously, I challenge you to go on Sic’Nis’ Facebook or Twitter page if ever you are having a bad day, the tweets, and status updates will brighten up the most miserable day.


Watching her perform is an awesome experience – she’s got great stage presence, and amazing energy. I can see her playing huge arenas in the near future; her performance captivates the audience, and you never want her set to end.

Below is my interview with the remarkable Sic’Nis:

1.  How did you get started in your music career? And how long have you been involved in music (part-time and full-time)?

I always say that I came out of my mother’s womb 'spitting'. I truly believe that! I’ve been a writer for as long as I remember, poems, short-stories, songs, and then one day, my songs became raps. I started to take my talent seriously in 2003 when I was introduced to Da Major of Vomit Productions; I still work closely with him until this day. I gig regularly, either with my band, or with my pa mix, on average at least twice a month, sometimes much more, and I‘m ALWAYS writing. Music is truly my passion - I think in song.



2.  How would you describe your genre of music? And who are your musical influences (classic and contemporary)?

My style of music is un-categorised, no boxes, however if I was forced to choose I’d call it “Yard Hop”, a phrase I coined to describe a cross-between Jamaican Dancehall and Hip Hop! My influences are so wide and varied that they make me chuckle, some I dare not admit to in print, Bounty Killer is one of my all time fav though, I love Tom Jones, Tina Turner, then there’s Nas , Lauryn Hill and obviously Wu-Tang Clan.



3. You have been featured on MTV.com – that was a major milestone in your music career. Could you share your thoughts on that?

SURREAL!!!!!!!I knew absolutely NOTHING about it, and it just sort of happened online. I’m still pinching myself now. I’d tell you the date that I first saw it too...actually, maybe don’t put that in print....I’ve got a rep to protect, LOL!



4. You’ve got thousands of likes/followers on Facebook, and Twitter. You also have a high fan interaction/activity on Facebook/Twitter. Personally, I am inspired by your positive status updates, and tweets. How do manage to positively inspire your fan base on a daily basis via social media?

Thank you! It’s as much for me as for anyone else. We can get so caught up in life, where we ‘should’ be, what we ‘should’ have, that we don’t appreciate where we are now, and what we have and/or what we’ve achieved, how blessed we are - I just like to be a reminder, kinda like a Note to Self!



5. Could you tell us how you met the legendary Wu-Tang Clan, and your side project with them?

I met them when they came to Birmingham 3 years ago...it was literally a dream come true but I knew it was going to happen...when I saw the “Protect Ya Neck” video on YoMtvRaps. I watched it from my television, in the back of the video....like, squint hard enough, and you can see me. I honestly knew from that moment that I was going to get to meet, dare I say be friends with them – the rest is history. I supported Ghostface Klllah (of the Wu-tang clan) at HMV Institute in 2012 - rapped Method Man’s  verse with Raekwon, GZA & GFK. My show Euro Invasion with my DJ Megastress is in its second year on the official Wu World Radio network...going back to the previous question, you can see why I encourage people to go for their dreams right!



6. You were selected to represent Birmingham at the UK House of Parliament, and got a chance to meet the British Prime Minister David Cameron. Could you talk us through the selection process, and meeting the MPs/the Prime Minister.

I have an extremely close working relationship with The Drum Arts Centre in Birmingham, and when MP Gisela Stuart contacted them, it was ‘Mad Flow’ and myself were the artists they recommended. It was quite quaint! Representatives from businesses like Cadbury’s were also selected, and who knew the Olympic Torch is made in the Jewellery Quarter right here in my hometown of Birmingham!

Likewise with the David Cameron thing,  I had no idea. I just got a telephone call saying “be at The Drum for such & such time....and dress up, you’ll want to look your best” – it’s one that always gets a mixed reaction, however I’m pretty sure my Nan and granddad will be smiling in heaven, and telling everybody who will listen, may they rest in peace.



7. Any upcoming Single/ EP (release date details etc.)?

Currently finalising my EP “Love Me With My Clothes On”. You can catch the title track on the upcoming 'collab' project with Matt Henshaw, Mor Music Group and myself. My single “Where I Stand” featuring Adante is out now, you can purchase it right now on iTunes, Amazon, and other online music distributors. Keep watch of my social networks/website for EP release, and launch party dates.



8. Where would you like to see your music career 5 years from now?                                 

      World domination is possible in five years right?



9. Do you have any message for your fans out there?

Thank you for all your support, it means the world to me!


Below are links for more information on Sic’Nis. You can show your support by giving her a like on Facebook, and following her on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment