Tuesday 30 September 2014

Music Icon Annie Lennox Slams Beyonce's Claim of Being a 'Feminist'


Referring to Beyonce's performance at the MTV VMA's, where the star performed in front of a board that read 'feminist' and offered a definition for the word, Annie said the stunt was “tokenistic.”
According to Annie Lennox:"I see a lot of it as them [female artsists] taking the word hostage and using it to promote themselves, but I don't think they necessarily represent wholeheartedly the depths of feminism—no, I don't."
"I think for many it's very convenient and it looks great and it looks radical, but I have some issues with it... I think it's a cheap shot. I think what they do with it is cheap."
"What can I tell you? Sex always sells. And there's nothing wrong with sex selling, but it depends on your audience. If they're 7-year-old kids, I have issues with it."
Annie went on to explain the misconceptions surrounding the word 'feminism', as well as explaining why she believes many women still shy away from the term.

"People's relationship to the word has been a bit ambivalent over the last few decades. According to who you speak to, they don't sometimes quite know what to do with the word,” she explained.
“Some women, many women, still have issues with the word and almost distance themselves from it because they're afraid it's synonymous with hating men."
Culled from Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment